Figure 1: B1 on an up passenger train at Kirkby Bentinck station in the early 1960’s. Photo Credit: Graham Upchurch collection
Kirkby Bentinck Station
Date: Opened on 2nd November1893 and originally named Kirkby Pinxton Station.
Location: West side of Church Hill (B6018) Company on opening: Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Company.
Figure 2: Kirkby Bentinck Station in 1966. Photo Credit: David Lowe
Date: Closed to passengers: 4th March 1963. Date closed completely: 4th March 1963. Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Figure 3: Remains of station board posts at Kirkby Bentinck station in 2009. Photo Credit: Kirkby Heritage Centre
Present state: The station buildings have been demolished and the platforms largely covered over with soil. Two concrete posts that once supported a station sign survive in the access road to the station, which now leads to a transport depot on the site of the goods station. The stationmaster’s house survives in private occupation.
County: Nottinghamshire OS Grid Ref: SK488555. Date of visit: 16th June 2008
Figure 4: Kirkby and Pinxton station in Great Central days. Photo Credit: Kirkby Heritage Centre
Kirkby & Pinxton Station was a typical station on the northern end of the line with two side platforms each with a timber and brick building and a substantial canopy. There was a goods yard on the down side of the line to the west of the station. The station served a thriving mining community with Bentinck Colliery served by a branch from the Great Central. On 1st March 1925 the station was renamed Kirkby Bentinck.
There were two other stations within a short distance and after WW2 passengers were in decline. The building on the down platform was demolished and replaced by a small waiting shelter while that on the up platform survived until closure of the station on 4th March 1963 when local services on the Great Central were withdrawn. The station lost its goods service on the same date although a private siding remained in use after closure.
Source: [Nick Catford] http://disused-stations.org.uk/k/kirkby_bentinck/index.shtml
Figure 5: Kirkby Bentinck station in the late 1960’s after closure of the Great Central main line and Kirkby Bentinck sidings. Photo Credit: Kirkby Heritage Centre
Kirkby Bentinck Station was principally situated on an east west railway network between Tibshelf & Newton Station & Hollinwell and Annesley Station. Upon opening, the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Company (MS&LR) had begun preparation to create a link just 2.5 miles south at Annesley which would stretch 92 miles to London Marylebone Station. This would put Kirkby Bentinck Station on a through route from Manchester to London serving both passengers and goods and in anticipation of the London extension, the MS&LR became the Great Central Railway in 1897 with the London extension being completed in 1899.
Figure 6: 1930’s map showing colliery branches from Kirkby Bentinck sidings. Photo Credit: maps.nls.uk
Kirkby Bentinck Station ran parallel to a complicated branch line that allowed Bentinck Pit to have a shunt line from the rear of Bentinck Colliery past Kirkby Bentinck Station and down to Langton Colliery, and the front of Bentinck Colliery where it main sidings were situated.
Figure 7: Selection of Kirkby Bentinck station tickets from the Graham Upchurch collection.
Figure 8: Site of Kirkby Bentinck station on the Railway Ramblers Kirkby-in-Ashfield railway heritage walk on 23rd August 2022. Photo Credit: Bill Proctor.
Blog by Adrian Gibson – December 2022
Posted by SB2K Admin
27th December 2022